This content may contain affiliate links. Please see our disclosures for more information.
My favorite part of fall and winter is that I have plenty of excuses to entertain friends and family. And what’s a party without the food? But with all the reasons to gather around food and drink, it’s important to remember to stay in budget – for your wallet (and waist’s) sake! So, every fall and winter, I go on a journey to seek budget and figure-friendly recipes for all courses of a meal. Here are five of my favorites.
Affordable Fall Party Recipes for the Health-conscious
1. Roasted Root Veggie and Turkey Sausage Bowl. This has become my go-to “it practically cooks itself” weekend, weeknight, lazy-sunday and casual group entertaining dish ever since I thought it up. The best part is that you can use any vegetable you want – simply peel and dice each to a uniform size, toss in olive oil, salt, and pepper, and spread on a sheet pan to roast until tan and toasted at 400. While cooking, pull out the turkey sausage and slice or crumble in to a pan. I like any variety from Trader Joe’s. When the veggies are done, pull them out and scrape in to the sausage pan. Mix, and serve in to bowls.
2. Citrus Salad. Slice a grapefruit in to sections, and toss with red onion shavings, salt, pepper, a tad of mustard, and avocado chunks. Cool, creamy, and a wonderful side (or main!) to accompany a hearty stew (or as a meal to follow).
3. Turkey Chili. A filling, tasty, and feel-good one-pot meal. I love trying the millions of recipes from Real Simple.
4. Pumpkin Gnudi. All the taste of ravioli but without the carbs. I cannot wait to try this recipe with leftover pumpkin.
5. Carrot Pumpkin Bars. Love carrot cake? These bars have all the flavor of fall without all the calories.