Most of us just pour our leftover beer down the sink. However, there are several useful (and eco-friendly) ways to put that unwanted beer to use.
10 Things to do with Beer (other than drink it):
- As an Organic Pest Killer. OK, it sounds morbid, but slugs are an organic gardener’s arch nemesis. Rather than hunt the little suckers down and burn them with salt (very gross to watch), give ’em a cool, refreshing one and they’ll at least die happy. Take a jar (spaghetti sauce jar or something similar with a pinched mouth that won’t allow a small amount of beer to spill out when lying on its side) and pour in a small amount of beer. In the garden, put the bottle on its side so that the mouth is accessible to the slugs.
- Bring the shine back to your wooden furniture. Lightly dampen a microfiber cloth with a flat beer. Rub gently onto wooden furniture.
- Remove those stubborn stains. Next time you spill grape juice on the carpet, try this trick: dampen a cloth with club soda and gently dab the stained carpet. Then dampen the cloth with light beer and repeat the process of dabbing the stained carpet. Finish with a carpet steam cleaner to easily pull the stain and lift the odor from the carpet.
- Gold polish. Soak your gold necklaces, bracelets and rings in a bowl of beer. Remove and polish with a dry cloth. .
- Live bee free. Have you ever spent camping trips or barbecues swarmed by bees? Not our idea of a good time. Try this little trick: fill a few small bowls or containers with beer and set around the perimeter of your barbecue or campsite. The bees will be attracted to the beer and less interested in your food.
- Bring the green back to your lawn. Pesky brown spots on the lawn? Pour some beer on that brown spot and within days it will turn green. The ingredients in beer promote the green growth.
- Make beer bread. With one 12 ounce beer and a bunch of other ingredients you have lying around the house, you can make easy, impressive beer bread. Check out this recipe from Allrecipes.com
- A hoppy beauty treatment. After washing your hair, massage a cup of warm beer into your scalp. Wrap a towel around your hair and let it sit an hour before rinsing.
- Fertilize. This is a great use for all those half drunken bottles left over after a party! Pour them on your house plants or garden. The yeast is a wonderful fertilizer.
- Marinade your meat. Beer makes a great marinade for chicken, beef or seafood!